Jobs in the trade industry are some of the most in-demand positions in numerous parts of the world. If you are good with your hands and want to further your training in the field, exploring trade job vacancies near you might be up your alley. Interested in a job in this sector? Here are some things you need to know.
Nature of Job
A trade job is a type of position that requires special training and experience. By extension, a tradesman or tradeswoman is a person skilled in a particular trade or field. Often, these include individuals who belong to the carpentry sector, electrical field, and the like , such as carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and painters. When you work as a tradesperson, you are responsible for building structures and frameworks, installation jobs, reading blueprints, managing projects, and working with different tools.
Average Job Rates
The average job rates for a trade position vary depending on your industry and position. For example, the average skilled trades hourly rates are as follows for various countries around the world: $24.91 in the US, CA$29 in Canada, £11.97 in the UK, AU$35 in Australia, and R57 in South Africa.
Most entry-level positions require applicants to have a high school diploma. Other individuals who are qualified for the position include those who have a certificate or diplomas in vocational or technical schools. While the industry is not strict for those with entry-level jobs, professionals who will be holding higher positions are required to undergo relevant training and have a college education. Similarly, first-timers will be given training, allowing them to grasp the skills essential for the job.
Usually, individuals who take on this position have a disciplined and organized approach to work, pay attention to details, and take necessary safety measures to ensure their protection and the wellbeing of the people around them.
How to Find Trade Job Vacancies Near Home
To find a trade job vacancy near you, you must create a resume that shows your list of competencies and experiences. To get a wider reach, you should utilize available resources in this digital world, such as online job search platforms. Below are some websites you should look into.
CareerBuilder is an online platform that allows job seekers to create impressive resumes and find jobs within their areas. It features over 100 million jobs and allows applicants to immediately apply to over 25 jobs in just a few seconds. To find listings within your area, simply enter your city, state, or zip code alongside the job position you want. Some of the vacancies available include Carpenter, Maintenance Technician, and Construction Superintendent.
Glassdoor helps users provide company and salary reviews, as well as find jobs – all in one network. Featuring over 11 million job positions, you can find one that suits your needs. To find a trade job vacancy near you, just key in your location or zip code. Some available positions include Duct Installer, Warehouse Forklift Operator, and Electrician Helper.
Dubbed as the world’s leading job site, this platform offers millions of job listings across thousands of websites. To apply for a job, you can easily enter your desired position and location. Trade job vacancies available on the website include Maintenance Trade Helper, Construction Worker, and Production Machine Operator.
Government Sites & Programs
The government provides numerous programs and initiatives designed to help you find trade job vacancies in your location. Some of these useful projects include:
- US – The United States Department of Labor has an apprenticeship program for individuals looking to develop their skills in their chosen field. After completing the program in your preferred trade, you will receive a nationally recognized certificate from the DOL. During the apprenticeship, you will work as an employee in your preferred company, giving them the chance to absorb you later on. This also provides mentoring and paid work opportunities.
- Canada – The Find a Job resource from the Government of Canada offers insight into the eligibility for the Federal Skilled Workers program. For immigrants and refugees, this program helps find jobs in the skilled trade sector. Meanwhile, the Job Bank allows individuals to seek positions posted by employers.
- UK – If you are from the UK, you can find similar trade jobs via the Find a Job resource by the Department for Work and Pensions. Here, you can search for jobs without having to create an account.
- Australia – The Australian government offers apprenticeships while being paid in over 500 different jobs. This government initiative gives individuals the chance to earn while learning new skills.
- South Africa – For job seekers in South Africa, the Finding a Job feature will help you find valuable information in different sectors – from creating your resume to reviewing your contracts. It also features resources that allow you to seek a position in the country.
Ready to try your hand at a trade job vacancy near you? By using this guide and the available job search platforms, you can start your trade job search without much difficulty.